It has been a summer residence, a tavern, a spa, a school for girls – but throughout its varied history, the Bocken has always stood for the same values: hospitality, well-being and learning.
The country estate was first mentioned in the 13th century. In 1804, the area and the tavern were at the centre of the Bocken Rebellion, a popular uprising in protest at local tithe law. During the 20th century, the estate changed from being a popular destination for outings to become a model agricultural enterprise and then a flourishing cultural centre, a meeting place for musicians and writers.
In 1977, the estate passed into the ownership of the canton of Zurich, which granted the right of use to the Schweizerische Kreditanstalt (now Credit Suisse). In 1993, Credit Suisse bought the property and, one year later, opened the Bocken Hotel and Conference Centre.
Hans Erhard Escher in his monograph of Lake Zurich (1692) about the vaulted cellar in the Landhaus: "A splendid pallast built entirely of stone, in it a vaulted cellar hewn very deeply in the rock, which is filled with beautiful large barrels".
Andreas Meier (1635-1711), who later became mayor of Zurich, bought the farmstead at Bocken and built the manor house, starting in 1675.
In 1769, Johannes Stocker bought the estate. He set up the "zum Bären" spa resort based on whey treatments and promoted the healing effects of the spring for joint complaints of all kinds.
Summer 1775. The spa of Bocken flourished until, at the end of the 19th century, an investigation established that the "miracle-working water" was just ordinary spring water.
As well as offering spa treatments, Johannes Stocker also opened a tavern. The pub sign with its picture of bears has hung outside from 1806 to this day.
New laws were introduced and the rural population around Zurich were dissatisfied. On 24.3.1804, a spontaneous uprising began with an arson attack on Schloss Wädenswil.
About 600 peasants went to fight in Zurich and finally, on 28.3.1804, defeated the government troops at Bocken.
The shoemaker Johann Jakob Willi was the leader of the insurgents. He was injured and taken captive at Bocken and executed in Zurich.
The Credit Suisse Communication Center was opened in April 1994. The seminar building with the integrated hotel wing with 40 rooms was newly built and meeting rooms for the management were set up in the historic Landhaus. The conversion of the Reitgebäude into an event location and restaurant took place in 2003/2004.